Home Forums Fan Forum Which non-roster minor leaguer are you excited to see?

• Which non-roster minor leaguer are you excited to see?

konu updated 1 week, 4 days ago 2 Members · 3 Posts
  • konu

February 11, 2020 at 8:37 am

Pitchers and Catchers report on Thursday. That means Dodgers baseball is back. Every spring MLB teams invite non-roster players to camp. Some are players who’ve bounced around and they’re looking for a spot and others are highly touted minor leaguers trying to impress the Big Club. A couple of weeks ago the Dodgers announced 21 non-roster invitees. Heres a list of them, if you’re unfamiliar https://www.mlb.com/dodgers/press-release/press-release-dodgers-2020-non-roster-invites. Since then, as you all know by know the Dodgers have acquired Mookie Betts and David Price. In that trade was Jeter Downs, and Connor Wong who were both were slated to be in camp. Since they are traded it is down to 19 players. Within those non-roster invitees, there are some names to look out for potentially soon as far as the Dodgers go. So, let’s take a look at who I’m most excited about. 

First, let’s start with Marshall Kasowski, who’s a 24-year-old relief pitcher. He can get to the upper 90’s with his fastball, which has some rise to it and leads to swings and misses. other than a fastball he also throws a 12-to-6 curveball and a changeup. neither of those pitches is as advanced as his fastball. He seems to have issues throwing strikes with those off-speed pitches but he typically gets away with it because of his great Fastball. He’s someone to keep an eye on because he could be a potential bullpen option. He’d be a good one, should he develop one of his off-speed pitches. 

Next, we’ll take a look at one of the Dodgers top prospects and that’s 22-year-old Josiah Gray. Josiah sits in the mid-’90s with his fastball, also throws a slider in the low-’80s with some sharp bite to it which has come along to being his 2nd best pitch. He also has a curveball that scouts deem as effective and can get outs with it. Josiah has started throwing his changeup again and the Dodgers believe it could be a solid offering. Josiah has pretty decent command he doesn’t walk too many batters, seems to have solid control of all pitches. He’s been really good in the minors so far if he continues to grow he could be someone we potentially see, earliest in September or sometime next year. As of now, he projects as a mid-rotation piece but the upside he can be a frontline starter. 

Lastly, I’m also interested in seeing Jordan Sheffield. Sheffield was projected to be a first-round pick before he had to have Tommy John Surgery. Sheffield’s lack of size and durability really put questions on whether he could be in a starting rotation or not. Last off-season the Dodgers decided to make him a full-time reliever and he started to turn the corner. Jordan Sheffield has posted elite swing and miss numbers with his fastball that sits in the mid-’90s but also has reached as high as 98. Scouts have said his curveball can be an absolute hammer at times, he’s really started to regain the feel for it. He also throws a circle change that really fools left-handed hitters. He does have some command issues which really plagued him as a starter with the move to the bullpen the Dodgers are hoping to harness those issues a bit. Jordan has the stuff to be a late-inning bullpen arm. He’s someone we could potentially see this year. 

As you can see Im mostly in on the pitchers but there are some hitters to potentially look at for the future. so, out of the 19 non-roster invitees who are you guys most excited to see play? Let me know, I’m always up for Dodgers discussion on my twitter @kingkonu_

• Shark

February 11, 2020 at 8:51 am

If I’m able to go to Arizona, I’m going to pay attention to SP Josiah Gray, OF Jeren Kendall and IF Jacob Amaya. Those are just names that I’ve seen more often than not and I would like to see what they can do on the field.

• konu

February 11, 2020 at 8:54 am

Those are good ones to look at. I was just naming those who are closest to contributing in the Majors

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now