News Feed Forums Fan Forum Where the Dodgers Farm System Ranks in MLB

• Where the Dodgers Farm System Ranks in MLB

i_am_tired_ updated 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Posts
  • Randi

March 10, 2020 at 4:55 pm

Yesterday MLB dropped their farm system rankings for each big league team, and the Dodgers system ranked in at 3rd.

Having a top-ranked farm system allows the Dodgers to have the depth they love as well as consistently putting winning teams on the field year after year. When your farm is as stacked as the Dodgers are, you can also make plenty of trades for some big-name players like Manny Machado and Mookie Betts. But what’s most impressive to me is the ability the Dodgers have to keep churning out top of the line talent and then quickly replacing them.

When you look at the current roster, they have Buehler, Gonsolin, May, Lux, Smith, Urías, Bellinger, Joc, Seager, Ríos, Ferguson, and Beaty who the Dodgers have developed and have made an impact on the big league team. Outside of Joc and Seager, the rest of these guys will still be in Dodger Blue for 3+ years unless they’re traded, of course. But to take all of that young talent out of the minors within the last couple of years (again excluding Seager, Joc, and even Urías here) and still be at the top is unbelievable when you think about it. As an extra point, let’s throw in Verdugo, who was also a top prospect at one point but was traded to Boston in the Betts/Price deal.

The Dodgers currently have five prospects in the top 100 and two of them are within the top 25: Gavin Lux, SS/2B (No. 2), Dustin May, RHP (No. 23), Josiah Gray, RHP (No. 67), Keibert Ruiz, C (No. 73), Brusdar Graterol, RHP (No. 83). Graterol and Gray are the only two prospects on this list that the Dodgers did not fully develop from the bottom up; however, they do deserve a lot of credit for how they’ve helped develop Gray. Lux, May, and Graterol are basically a for sure thing to see time on the big league roster this season. While Gray and Ruiz could also see time it seems more likely, they’d get their shot due to an injury or when Septemeber call ups come around.

The Dodgers head into the 2020 season with Lux as the No. 2 prospect in baseball, with no shortage of talent behind or in front of him. The Dodgers are STACKED from top to bottom. Now it’s just a matter of seeing if holding onto these prospects will finally pay off.

• Ballpark.Mark

March 10, 2020 at 8:22 pm

Great take! 💙⚾️

• i_am_tired_

March 10, 2020 at 8:23 pm

You could also say Yu Darvish when talking about plenty of trades for big-name players. Darvish isn’t a big name at all now. In 2017, I think he was.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now