Home Forums Fan Forum The Homerun Derby Debate

• The Homerun Derby Debate

chad-adams created 5 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 12 Posts
  • chad-adams

June 29, 2019 at 10:30 pm

Recently Codi Bellinger stated that he wasn’t going to enter this year for the Homerun Derby saying he was gonna wait til next year at Dodger Stadium. In the past hitters have declined going into the Derby like Mike Trout for a number of reasons and superstitions. I find it interesting that MLB seems to have a problem showcasing its stars and here we are with one of the best hitters in baseball Bellinger declining the offer of hitting dingers in prime time and could’ve been showcased to have team Bellinger vs team Yelich. I wish Bellinger could do it this year because it is not a  guarantee he’ll have this same type of production next season.

My question is should the best hitters in baseball be allowed to decline entering the homerun Derby? Should baseball force the top 5 homerun hitters in baseball to participate? Could this lead to one day players declining entering into the All-Star Game for rest? 

bleeding blue

• i_am_tired_

June 29, 2019 at 10:56 pm

I don’t like the idea of the MLB forcing guys to participate in the Home Run Derby. They should keep having the option to participate or not. The Home Run Derby could mess up how well that player has been doing that year. If the player doesn’t wanna take that risk they shouldn’t be forced to compete.

• chad-adams

June 29, 2019 at 11:04 pm

funny cause I don’t fully believe that it ruins a players swing, even though there has been players that have gotten cold after the homerun derby there has been players who have continued to swing well and still crush homeruns.

but it leads me to thinking how long it will be til MLB players treat the all star game like NFL players treat the pro bowl? at some point someone is gonna point out at players that went cold after the all star break and using the same logic for it.

bleeding blue

• i_am_tired_

June 29, 2019 at 11:12 pm

The NFL doesn’t really have anything like the Home Run Derby. They have the Pro-Bowl. That’s it. Anyway, what I was saying is that most guys that are hot before the all-star break don’t wanna take a risk and might mess it up. I don’t think a lot of fans would like it if the MLB just started forcing players to compete in it. Ok so hypothetically, if the MLB started (next year) forcing the star players to play in the HR Derby and Bellinger is doing really good. Then he plays in the Derby, and then is cold for the 2nd half of the season. Tons of fans and I mean tons of fans would blame the MLB for forcing him to compete in the Derby.

• chad-adams

June 29, 2019 at 11:21 pm

Oh I know fans will fucking hate it if MLB forced their players to be in the homerun derby, but it might be a measure they would have to take if they truly believe that their product is falling by the way side for a younger audience.

I used to believe the derby ruined swings until a year ago heard a convo with Pete Rose and I forgot who else discussing all the factors that go into the second half of the season. Whether its seeing less pitches to hit, a regression to the mean, harboring an injury, or young players learning how to keep their bodies performing at a fraction from the first half.

I only bring this up cause it’s not a guarantee that Codi will have this type of season next season or even get an invitation for it.

bleeding blue

• i_am_tired_

June 29, 2019 at 11:24 pm

I just don’t ever see the MLB actually doing this. If they do I’ll hate it!

• chad-adams

June 29, 2019 at 11:36 pm

idk people always tend to love terrible ideas lol

I’m just curious what MLB could do to change its perception that it is becoming dated and liked less by young fans.

fingers crossed to leave coors field in one piece tomorrow

bleeding blue

• i_am_tired_

June 29, 2019 at 11:49 pm

I hope so too. It’s really screwing up our entire team.

• chad-adams

June 29, 2019 at 11:53 pm

Dodgers are lucky cause they can burn the pen tomorrow since Monday is a day off, would love to leave up 12 i don’t want to give colorado any hope tbh.

bleeding blue

• i_am_tired_

June 29, 2019 at 11:56 pm

Yeah I know. Hope lucky we can get the W tomorrow. Have a great night man!

• hey_itsjuls

June 30, 2019 at 6:02 pm

I think it should be up to the player if they want to participate or not. The homerun derby just isn’t for everyone, and if the player doesn’t want to do it they shouldn’t force them. If there’s a rule that mandates the top 5 must perform, I can see them not wanting to participate at all in the all star game.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now