Home Forums Fan Forum Position Battles on the Dodgers

• Position Battles on the Dodgers

samscherer updated 2 months, 1 week ago 1 Member · 1 Post
  • samscherer

March 20, 2020 at 9:09 pm

Recently, the MLB.com beat writers took a look at the largest position battles during Spring Training for each MLB Team, so I’ll be taking a look at what they think the biggest position battle is on the Dodgers.

MLB.com decided that the biggest position battle on the Dodgers was whether or not Gavin Lux will be the starting second baseman, and they don’t think he won the job. Personally, I feel as though Lux ought to be the starting second baseman against righties at least, with Kike or Taylor getting his spot in the lineup against lefties until Lux proves he’s capable against them.

However, I don’t think that who starts at second base is the biggest position battle on the club. There is a spot on the bench up for grabs, mostly between Matt Beaty, Edwin Rios, Cody Thomas, and Zach McKinstry. I think the relatively obvious choice here is Beaty, as he had a serviceable Spring and has had proven success in the major leagues and can hit for contact, a skill needed on the Dodgers. Edwin Rios also had a good spring, and hit well in the majors, but is mostly only good for power against right handers, something the Dodgers have an abundance of. Cody Thomas and Zach McKinstry both had tremendous springs, with Thomas’ five home runs leading the Cactus League, but they’re both relatively young, unknown prospects, and unproven except for this small sample size, so they’re more likely to receive a mid-season call-up if anything.

Additionally, the last spot in the bullpen, presumably going to a lefthander, is between Caleb Ferguson and Scott Alexander, who’ve both had tremendous springs and look ready to bounce back from shaky 2019s. I would give the spot to Alexander due to his veteran status and experience, plus, when healthy, he’s been consistently effective, whereas Ferguson has struggled but probably has higher upside. What do you think the biggest position battle on the Dodgers is, and who should win it?

• This discussion was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  samscherer.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now