Home Forums Fan Forum "A" is for Apologize….

• "A" is for Apologize….

smitty0808 updated 1 month, 2 weeks ago 1 Member · 1 Post
  • smitty0808

February 12, 2020 at 11:19 am

I am first going to start this article off by stating that Yes I am a Dodger fan, Yes I feel as if my team was robbed of a championship and Yes I believe my team did not get an opportunity to celebrate with a parade. There are families whose loved ones have passed who would have loved to see the Dodgers win this championship. Most fans wanted to party like it was 1988. Players and coaches have retired, been traded or have signed elsewhere. This was not supposed to happen, not to the Dodgers or any team for that matter. We, of course, are talking about the scandal that has rocked the MLB offseason, the Houston Astros cheating scandal.

All people want is for an apology to take place and let me preface by giving the definition of apology.

Apology: Noun; a regretful acknowledgment of an offense or failure and/or a very poor or inadequate example of.

Why is it so difficult for this one simple word to be expressed through the true emotions of those players, coaches, front office executives and personnel involved? In my eyes, it is quite simple. They have no remorse, they have no regret and they simply do not care. As of this morning, Astros owner Jim Crane had arranged a team meeting to discuss how the team will respond to the allegations and simply said the team will not be available to the media today. I have a terrific idea for a team meeting and it should go something like this:

“Hey guys, we cheated, we got away with it and we get to keep our rings. Let’s just say we are sorry and everyone will forget about this. It is not like the commissioner is going to suspend, ban or take anything away from us. We can find a different scheme for this year. Let’s go Astros.”

This sounds like a perfect type of meeting that this franchise would hold. In a sport where now-retired pitcher Mike Bolsinger, who has publicly stated he will be suing the Astros, a response through a GIF on twitter by Astros outfielder Josh Reddick, showed a Laughing Debra Jo, or Kitty from “That 70’s Show” followed up by a separate GIF of Justin Timberlake staring blankly at us with the title of “It wasn’t about what ya’ll think.” Absolutely no remorse, and yes Josh, we do know what this was about. People’s careers have ended, fans’ lives have been hurt and what comes of this? Oh, that is right, those fake apologies that all of these players and members of the Astros organization have come up with.

Now with the Minnesota Twins, Marwin Gonzalez gave us the closest thing to a real apology that we could ask for. The following quote states:

“I’m remorseful for everything that happened in 2017, for everything that we did as a group, and for the players that were affected directly by us doing this,” Gonzalez said Tuesday from a lobby at Hammond Stadium, a day before Twins pitchers and catchers report to camp. This has been the closest thing to a real apology that we have heard and I can respect Marwin for stepping up and saying the closest thing to a real apology that we have wanted to hear.

With the 2020 season about to kick off into full gear, we should all be looking forward to the new season, the chance to win and the opportunity to cherish and celebrate a sport we all love so much. Instead, we are all waiting for that one hard to pronounce word, Apology. It is not difficult to own up to your mistakes and make things right, but for some odd reason, this franchise and its players seem “Too good” for the rest of us and just stick a big middle finger in the air, because they know they got away with cheating.

I wanted to echo a couple of players’ words, such as newly signed Dodger pitcher Alex Wood who tweeted, “would rather face a player that was taking steroids than face a player that knew every pitch that was coming.” Baltimore Orioles Infielder Danny Valencia tweeted “** Houston Asterisks **” which is seeming to become a trend among players and fans. “This is where throwing hard has its MF perks BB so either police it @MLB or I’ll get back to my training” along with a couple of Emoji’s was tweeted out by Cleveland Indians starting pitcher Mike Clevinger.

It is safe to say this season will have a black cloud over it due to the amount of anger, disgust, and upsetness coming from players, fans and coaches around the league. All of us want an apology, all of us want them to say it was wrong, but obviously, it is too difficult to mutter that one word of “Apologize.”

Houston Astros, I will leave you once more with the definition of apology. In all dictionaries it looks like this:

Apology: Noun; a regretful acknowledgment of an offense or failure and/or a very poor or inadequate example of.

My current definition of Apologize doesn’t have words, yet it simply has a picture of the Houston Astros franchise. Baseball fans worldwide, let us hear you boo, let us hear you scream and let your loud voices be heard. Wear those Houston Asterisks shirts, bang on your trash cans at home and let those players know that they have messed with the integrity of the sport. Let’s hope this all goes away, but honestly, we won’t apologize to you Houston, not for the pain you have caused fans worldwide. As always, thank you for taking the time to read and you know my saying, Fire away!

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now